Classic meatloaf is one of the most popular comfort foods to make for dinner. Always a family favorite and pretty simple to make. Add a side of smoked mac and cheese for a family favorite meal.
My kids absolutely love our Cheddar Stuffed Meatloaf and if you are lucky enough to have leftovers, it makes the best sandwiches!
How to Make BBQ Meatloaf:
- Add olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic and chopped red bell peppers to a saucepan and cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened.
- In a bowl, add lean ground beef and add 2 beaten eggs, the sautéd vegetables, Italian seasonings, granulated garlic, salt and pepper.
- Mix together until well combined.
- Shape into a loaf and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Get your grill ready with hickory or oak for smoke flavor with about a 300- 325° fire or preheat the oven to 375°.
- Cook for 25 minutes. Brush generously with barbecue sauce.
- Keep cooking for 30- 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°.
- Remove from grill or oven and allow to rest about 10 minutes before slicing.
Since this meatloaf is gluten free, it doesn’t stick together as well as meatloaf that is made with bread. Just slice it carefully, I promise it’s just as juicy and delicious!
Lots of folks top their meatloaf with ketchup but I love brushing barbecue sauce over the top so much more. Especially if it’s a sweet barbecue sauce!
Our barbecue sauce is gluten free when made with Lea & Perrins or French’s Worcestershire sauce. To make this meatloaf gluten free, be sure the barbecue sauce you use is gluten free too! It has a really great texture, more like a grilled burger than traditional meatloaf.
My family absolutely loves meatloaf, but I’ve never been the biggest fan. Well that is until we tried making our Easy Smoked Meatloaf on the grill. It’s always been a texture issue with me and if you have similar feelings, this is the meatloaf you are going to love.
If you haven’t tried grilling a meatloaf, you just have to give it a try. It’s a real game changer. Perfect for busy weeknights or Sunday supper with the entire family.
You might also like our BBQ Fatty that is similar to a meatloaf. It has a layer of ground beef, a layer of sausage with cheese, peppers and onion filling. All of that is wrapped in bacon and smoked to perfection.
Delicious Side Dishes to Complete Your Meal:
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes are the classic choice to serve with meatloaf. So creamy and delicious!
- Grilled Potatoes are filled with cheese and everything bagel seasoning and made right on the grill next to the meatloaf! So savory and delicious!
- Broccoli with Toasted Walnuts is a great veggie side dish for any dinner. The toasted walnuts add a delicious crunch to steamed broccoli.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob is so simple to make in a foil packet and cook on the grill with your main dish. The garlic butter takes it to a new level of delicious flavors!
- Grilled Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables to grill. It’s super simple and cooks really quickly.
FOLLOW OUT GRILLING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
BBQ Meatloaf is a tender and juicy meatloaf with amazing flavor from sautéd peppers, onions and garlic. It's basted with homemade barbecue sauce and grilled to perfection.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasonings
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup sweet and tangy barbecue sauce
- Add olive oil, onion, red peppers and garlic into a skillet and cook, stirring often until vegetables are softened. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef and beaten eggs.
- Add cooked onions and peppers, Italian seasonings, pepper, salt and granulated garlic.
- Mix well and form into a loaf on a lined baking sheet.
- Prepare grill to 300- 350° with hickory or oak for smoke flavor or oven to 375°.
- Cook meatloaf 25 minutes.
- Brush top and sides with homemade barbecue sauce.
- Continue cooking 30-45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°.
- Allow meatloaf to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
*Our barbecue sauce is gluten free when made with Lea & Perrins or French's Worcestershire sauce. Use your favorite gluten free barbecue sauce for this meatloaf.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 197mgSodium: 752mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 46g
Nutritional information is estimated and may not be accurate.