Grilled Onion Burgers are one of the tastiest burgers you can make on the grill. Loaded with bits of onion and barbecue sauce mixed in plus smoky grilled onions on top and easy burger sauce. These burgers are going to steal the show at your next cookout!
Grilled burgers are always a hit for dinner at our house. Living on a cattle ranch, we generally have a freezer full of ground beef and hamburgers are definitely on the menu at least once a week.
These epic burgers are part of a fantastic month-long event hosted by Girl Carnivore, but opinions are always my own!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Make Grilled Onion Burgers:
- Mix lean ground beef with barbecue sauce and diced onion. Form into 8 patties with an indention in the middle of each. Season with granulated garlic, salt and pepper.
- Slice 2 large onions and place in a cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a grill fire to about 300. We used lump charcoal with a bit of hickory for smoke flavor in our Weber Kettle Grill.
- Rake the coals to the edges as the fire started to die down to cook the burgers over indirect heat.
- Place burgers over indirect heat along with the skillet of onions. Cover with the lid. Cook about 6 - 8 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and stir the onions.
- Cover once more and continue to cook until burgers reach an internal temperature of 165° with a digital thermometer.
- Remove from grill.
- Spread butter over buns and lightly toast.
Serve burgers on your favorite buns, topped with grilled onions, burger sauce and your favorite toppings.
We served our burgers up with the most amazing garlic butter Grilled Corn on the Cob. It was super easy to grill while we were grilling the burgers!
Thank you to #BurgerMonth Sponsors:
Kick your burger game into high gear with these delicious Grilled Onion Burgers! You are going to love the flavor combination.
FOLLOW OUT GRILLING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
Grilled Onion Burgers are one of the tastiest burgers you can make on the grill. Loaded with bits of onion and barbecue sauce mixed in plus smoky grilled onions on top. These burgers are going to steal the show at your next cookout!
- Mix ground beef with barbecue sauce and one diced onion.
- Form into 8 patties and season with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, 2 teaspoons of black pepper and garlic.
- Make an indention in the center of each patty.
- Prepare a grill fire to about 300°. We used lump charcoal and hickory for smoke flavor.
- When fire dies down, scoot the coals to the edges of the grill.
- Slice remaining 2 onions and add to a skillet with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook patties and onions over indirect heat with the lid closed for about 6 - 8 minutes.
- Flip burgers and stir onions. Cover and cook until internal temperature of burgers reaches 165°.
- Remove from grill.
- Butter buns and toast lightly.
- Serve grilled burgers on toasted buns, topped with grilled onions and burger sauce along with your favorite toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 1454mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 38g
Nutritional information is estimated and may not be accurate.