Grilled Onion Burgers are one of the tastiest burgers you can make on the grill. Loaded with bits of onion and barbecue sauce mixed in plus smoky grilled onions on top and easy burger sauce. These burgers are going to steal the show at your next cookout!
Grilled burgers are always a hit for dinner at our house. Living on a cattle ranch, we generally have a freezer full of ground beef and hamburgers are definitely on the menu at least once a week.
These epic burgers are part of a fantastic month-long event hosted by Girl Carnivore, but opinions are always my own!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Make Grilled Onion Burgers:
- Mix lean ground beef with barbecue sauce and diced onion. Form into 8 patties with an indention in the middle of each. Season with granulated garlic, salt and pepper.
- Slice 2 large onions and place in a cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a grill fire to about 300. We used lump charcoal with a bit of hickory for smoke flavor in our Weber Kettle Grill.
- Rake the coals to the edges as the fire started to die down to cook the burgers over indirect heat.
- Place burgers over indirect heat along with the skillet of onions. Cover with the lid. Cook about 6 - 8 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and stir the onions.
- Cover once more and continue to cook until burgers reach an internal temperature of 165° with a digital thermometer.
- Remove from grill.
- Spread butter over buns and lightly toast.
Serve burgers on your favorite buns, topped with grilled onions, burger sauce and your favorite toppings.
We served our burgers up with the most amazing garlic butter Grilled Corn on the Cob. It was super easy to grill while we were grilling the burgers!