Cajun Butter Smoked Chicken is one of the most delicious dinners that you’ll ever make on your back yard grill! A quick brine makes this grilled chicken tender and juicy and the blackened butter adds tons of flavor!
Smoked chicken is one of our go- to dinners for meal prepping. We love to grill a couple of whole chickens on the weekend and make easy meals out of the throughout the week. Once you get a taste of your own smoked chicken, you won’t buy another rotisserie chicken from the deli!
How to Make Cajun Butter Smoked Chicken:
- Add warm water to a large bowl or pan and mix in salt until dissolved. Stir in peppercorn, sliced garlic and fresh lemon.
- Submerge chicken in brine. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours.
- Prepare a grill fire to about 300° with oak, hickory or pecan for smoke flavor. We used oak for this recipe.
- Drain chicken well and pat completely dry on the inside and out with paper towels.
- Mix softened butter with homemade blackened seasonings or your favorite Cajun Spice Mix. We like to make our own, so that it’s flavorful without being too spicy. Add cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
- Rub about 1 tablespoon of Cajun butter under the skin all over the breast. Spread another tablespoon inside the cavity.
- Melt the remaining butter and brush all over chicken.
- Place chicken over indirect fire and cook with the grill lid closed for 1 to 1/2 hours.
- Use a digital thermometer to check internal temperature- in the thickest part of the thigh. Chicken should reach 165°.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Garnish with cilantro and sliced jalapeños if desired.
How to Store and Reheat:
Wrap whole or sliced chicken in several layers of plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 4 days.
Reheat boned chicken in a skillet with a couple of tablespoons of water or broth.
Reheat bone-in chicken covered with foil in a 325° oven for 15- 2o minutes.
There are endless dinner possibilities with a whole smoked chicken. It makes amazing sandwiches or is perfect to add to pasta or rice dishes. We love to grill 2 chickens at once and make dinners throughout the week quickly and easily.
If you are looking for a quick and easy grilling recipe, this Coca-Cola Chicken is a surefire winner. Great for busy weeknights and has tons of amazing flavors!
Serve Cajun Butter Smoked Chicken with a side of Grilled Corn on the Cob, Grilled Asparagus or Grilled Potatoes for a fantastic family meal. The blackened seasoning and butter create the most incredible chicken. It’s melt in your mouth delicious.
FOLLOW OUT GRILLING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
Cajun Butter Smoked Chicken is one of the most delicious dinners that you'll ever make on your back yard grill! A quick brine makes this grilled chicken tender and juicy and the blackened butter adds tons of flavor!
for the brine:
- 4 quarts warm water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- fresh rosemary, optional
- 1 whole chicken (3-5 lbs)
for the butter:
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 tablespoons blackened seasoning
- Sliced jalapeno and cilantro for garnish, optional
Mix up the brine by combining warm water, salt, garlic, peppercorns, lemon and rosemary. Submerge chicken in brine. Cover and refrigerate for 1 - 3 hours.
Drain chicken and pat dry with paper towels, inside and out.
Prepare a grill fire to 300° with oak, hickory or pecan for smoke flavor.
Mix the butter and blackened seasoning together.
Carefully separate the skin from the breast and rub about 1 tablespoon over the breast. Rub another tablespoon inside the cavity.
Melt the remaining butter and brush all over the chicken.
Place chicken over indirect heat and close the grill lid.
Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165°.
Remove from grill and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 468Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 14399mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 41g
Nutritional calculation is estimated and may not be accurate.