This How to Grill Chuck Roast recipe is a game changer for pot roast! Beef chuck roast is seasoned with a simple dry rub and grilled with hardwood smoke for a delicious family meal.
Ingredients for Grilled Chuck Roast:
- Beef Chuck Roast
- Olive Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Garlic
- Onion Powder
- Onion Flakes
- Ground Rosemary
- Smoked Paprika
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Dry Mustard
How to Grill Chuck Roast:
- Set beef chuck roast out to come to room temperature and pat dry with paper towel.
- Drizzle with olive oil, coating both sides.
In a small bowl add the beef rub ingredients.
- Combine brown sugar, garlic, onion powder, onion flakes, ground rosemary, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and dry mustard.
- Sprinkle over both sides of roast, pressing the rub into the meat.
- Set aside while the grill fire is prepared.
- Using hickory or pecan for smoke flavor, bring grill temperature to 400°.
- Place chuck roast over indirect fire, close the lid and lower grill temperature to about 350°.
- Cook roast for 45 minutes, checking internal temperature with a digital meat thermometer.
- Continue to cook chuck roast until desired temperature is reached. We pulled ours at about 155° for medium doneness.
- Remove from grill and rest about 15 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- If you prefer the fall apart tender texture, place roast in a pan and add 2 cups of beef broth or red wine to finish braising the roast.
- Cover with foil and continue to cook on the grill or in the oven for about another hour, until roast reaches 190°- 205° internal temperature.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT ROAST BEEF:
Reheat sliced roast beef in a pan with beef broth over medium heat for 4 - 5 minutes or chop and heat with bbq sauce and over medium heat for about 6-8 minutes.
We also love to grill chuck steaks for a budget friendly meal and it makes the best Grilled Steak Tacos.
More Roast Beef Recipes to Try:
You might also like this Grilled Venison Roast if you have a freezer full of deer meat.
Grilled Chuck Roast is a great meal idea for any night of the week and one of our favorites to make ahead for a busy week. Smoky roast beef makes great sandwiches, wraps and casseroles for tried and true family meals.
Grilled Chuck Roast is a game changer for pot roast! Beef chuck roast is seasoned with a simple dry rub and grilled with hardwood smoke for a delicious family meal.
- 3 pound beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated garlic
- ¾ teaspoons onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion flakes
- ¾ teaspoons ground rosemary
- ¾ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Bring chuck roast to room temperature. Pat dry with paper towels and place on a baking sheet.
- Coat roast with olive oil, rubbing over all sides.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar with garlic, onion powder, onion flakes, rosemary, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and dry mustard.
- Sprinkle all over roast and press into the roast.
- Set roast aside and prepare a grill fire.
- Add hickory or pecan chunks and heat grill to 400°.
- Place roast over indirect heat and close the grill lid. Lower temperature to 350°.
- Cook roast for 45 minutes. Check internal temperature with a grill thermometer, cooking until about 155° for medium doneness.
- To cook until fall apart tender: place roast in a pan and cover with 2 cups beef broth, cover with foil and continue to cook on the grill or in oven for 30 minutes or until roast reaches 190° - 205°.
- Rest roast for 15 minutes before slicing thin.
Leftover roast can be stored in an airtight container up to 4 days. Vacuum sealed roast beef can be refrigerated up to 7 days and frozen up to 6 months.
Reheat sliced roast beef in beef broth or olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for about 4- 5 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 588Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 188mgSodium: 331mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 56g
Nutritional information is estimated and may not be accurate.