This How to Grill Chuck Roast recipe is a game changer for pot roast! Beef chuck roast is seasoned with a simple dry rub and grilled with hardwood smoke for a delicious family meal.
We love to grill chuck roast for an easy weeknight meal with garlic butter baked potatoes and the leftovers make a great roast beef sandwich topped with homemade horseradish sauce.
Ingredients for Grilled Chuck Roast:
- Beef Chuck Roast
- Olive Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Garlic
- Onion Powder
- Onion Flakes
- Ground Rosemary
- Smoked Paprika
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Dry Mustard
How to Grill Chuck Roast:
- Set beef chuck roast out to come to room temperature and pat dry with paper towel.
- Drizzle with olive oil, coating both sides.
In a small bowl add the beef rub ingredients.
- Combine brown sugar, garlic, onion powder, onion flakes, ground rosemary, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and dry mustard.
- Sprinkle over both sides of roast, pressing the rub into the meat.
- Set aside while the grill fire is prepared.
- Using hickory or pecan for smoke flavor, bring grill temperature to 400°.
- Place chuck roast over indirect fire, close the lid and lower grill temperature to about 350°.
- Cook roast for 45 minutes, checking internal temperature with a digital meat thermometer.
- Continue to cook chuck roast until desired temperature is reached. We pulled ours at about 155° for medium doneness.
- Remove from grill and rest about 15 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- If you prefer the fall apart tender texture, place roast in a pan and add 2 cups of beef broth or red wine to finish braising the roast.
- Cover with foil and continue to cook on the grill or in the oven for about another hour, until roast reaches 190°- 205° internal temperature.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT ROAST BEEF:
Store leftover chuck roast in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Roast can also be vacuum sealed, and refrigerated up to 7 days or frozen up to 6 months.
Reheat sliced roast beef in a pan with beef broth over medium heat for 4 - 5 minutes or chop and heat with bbq sauce and over medium heat for about 6-8 minutes.
We also love to grill chuck steaks for a budget friendly meal and it makes the best Grilled Steak Tacos.
More Roast Beef Recipes to Try:
You might also like this Grilled Venison Roast if you have a freezer full of deer meat.
Grilled Chuck Roast is a great meal idea for any night of the week and one of our favorites to make ahead for a busy week. Smoky roast beef makes great sandwiches, wraps and casseroles for tried and true family meals.
How to Grill Chuck Roast
Grilled Chuck Roast is a game changer for pot roast! Beef chuck roast is seasoned with a simple dry rub and grilled with hardwood smoke for a delicious family meal.
- 3 pound beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated garlic
- ¾ teaspoons onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion flakes
- ¾ teaspoons ground rosemary
- ¾ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Bring chuck roast to room temperature. Pat dry with paper towels and place on a baking sheet.
- Coat roast with olive oil, rubbing over all sides.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar with garlic, onion powder, onion flakes, rosemary, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and dry mustard.
- Sprinkle all over roast and press into the roast.
- Set roast aside and prepare a grill fire.
- Add hickory or pecan chunks and heat grill to 400°.
- Place roast over indirect heat and close the grill lid. Lower temperature to 350°.
- Cook roast for 45 minutes. Check internal temperature with a grill thermometer, cooking until about 155° for medium doneness.
- To cook until fall apart tender: place roast in a pan and cover with 2 cups beef broth, cover with foil and continue to cook on the grill or in oven for 30 minutes or until roast reaches 190° - 205°.
- Rest roast for 15 minutes before slicing thin.
Leftover roast can be stored in an airtight container up to 4 days. Vacuum sealed roast beef can be refrigerated up to 7 days and frozen up to 6 months.
Reheat sliced roast beef in beef broth or olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for about 4- 5 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 588Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 188mgSodium: 331mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 56g
Nutritional information is estimated and may not be accurate.
People don't want to scroll through multiple pages to view and follow a recipe.
Put your recipe in standard form: Ingredients followed by instructions so people can print it out.
Learn simple things. It's really not nice to force people to spend time on your website.
What is the Veggie on the cutting board with the chuck? Eggplant? Looks yummy, can you put that recipe up for us? Going to try the Chuck recipe tonight and will let you know the results.
That is sliced heirloom tomatoes. So excited for our garden this summer, so we can enjoy those again. I hope you enjoyed the chuck roast.
I agree with “the above statement; don’t make me read what I didn’t come to read” give me the recipe and if I want I’ll look at what’s out there!!!
You can click the "jump to recipe" next time