How to Grill Burgers with the best seasonings, sauces, tips and tricks for making the best hamburgers on the grill. You can make the best ever burgers on your backyard grill all summer long.
Grilled burgers are our go-to dinner on the grill, it’s the one meal everyone can agree on and it’s easy to build a burger to suit even the pickiest eaters.
How to Grill Burgers:
- Start with ground beef or ground chuck. Mix in homemade barbecue sauce and fresh or dried minced onion.
- Form into equal sized patties and layer between layers of parchment paper.
- Prepare a grill fire to about 350° using hickory or oak for smoke flavor.
- Add patties to the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Add onion slices to indirect heat if you like grilled onions on your burgers.
- Flip and cook on the other side until internal temperature reaches 165° using a digital thermometer.
- Remove burgers from the grill and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve burgers on buns with your favorite toppings.
Tips for Grilling Burgers:
- Use your favorite blend of ground beef – we prefer lean but most folks seem to like 80% lean.
- Mixing in your favorite barbecue sauce and onion provides plenty of flavor and keeps the burgers moist.
- Use a 1/2 cup measure to make 1/4 pound patties. This makes all of your burgers the same size and they will grill evenly.
- Cook burgers to 165° internal temperature.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with your favorite toppings. Choose a sturdy bun that will hold up to the burger and toppings without falling apart.
Best Toppings for Grilled Burgers:
Burger Sauce is a flavorful sauce that everyone loves! A barbecue twist on the famous “special sauce” that is perfect for grilled burgers. Mayo, ketchup and mustard are the classic spreads.
Fresh vegetables like lettuce, tomato and onion are always great to layer on your favorite burger.
American cheese, cheddar and pepper-jack are always great additions to make cheeseburgers.
Best Sides to Serve with Grilled Burgers:
Grilled Corn on the Cob is so easy to make while you are grilling burgers.
French Fries are the classic side for burgers and homemade fries are so delicious!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Best Tools for Grilling Burgers:
Weber Kettle Grill is an affordable grill that won’t take up too much space if you are limited and is perfect for grilling everything from burgers, chicken to steak!
Large Spatula for flipping burgers.
Digital Meat Thermometer is a must- have for making sure you are getting your burgers to the proper temperature.
FOLLOW OUT GRILLING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
Best ever grilled burgers made simply with a blend lean ground beef, homemade barbecue sauce and onions. Served up with your favorite toppings on toasted buns.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups homemade barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes or chopped fresh onion
- 2 onions, sliced thick
- 9 burger buns
- lettuce and favorite condiments for serving
- Mix ground beef with barbecue sauce and minced onion.
- Pack burger mixture into 1/2 cup measure for 1/4 pound burgers. Flatten into patties and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper in between for easy handling.
- Prepare a grill fire with hickory or oak for smoke flavor.
- Add burgers and sliced onions to the grill and cook for 5 minutes, flip burgers and continue to cook until internal temperature reaches 165°.
- Remove burgers and onions from grill and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Toast buns and serve burgers on buns with lettuce, grilled onions and favorite condiments.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 815mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 34g
Nutritional information is estimated and may not be accurate.