Perfect Rump Roast is so easy to make on the grill. Great for family dinners and it’s the best way to make roast beef sandwiches. This rump roast recipe turns out tender, juicy and flavorful every single time.
You have likely enjoyed grandma’s delicious Sunday roast beef dinner cooked in a dutch oven or slow cooker, but just wait until you try one on the grill. Serve delicious rump roast with horseradish sauce. Garlic butter potatoes, grilled corn on the cob and garlic bread are our favorite side dishes for a favorite meal.
Ingredients for Perfect Rump Roast:
- Rump Roast ~ 3 to 4 pounds
- Olive Oil
- Green Chile Rub: Brown Sugar, Onion Flakes, Green Chile Powder, Granulated Garlic, Onion Powder, Dried Thyme, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Dry Mustard
- OR Garlic and Onion Rub: Brown Sugar, Granulated Garlic, Onion Powder, Ground Rosemary, Dried Thyme, Smoked Paprika, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Dry Mustard
How to Grill Rump Roast:
- Remove roast from packaging, pat dry with paper towels and place on a rimmed baking sheet or plate.
- Drizzle with olive oil, rubbing over the entire roast.
- Sprinkle with rub on all sides, pressing the seasoning into the meat.
- Rest at room temperature while the grill is prepared.
- Using hickory, oak or pecan hardwood chunks, for smoke flavor, prepare a grill fire to about 350°.
- Place beef roast over indirect heat and close the grill.
- Cook for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, maintaining a grill temperature of about 325- 350° until roast reaches desired doneness using a digital meat thermometer to test the internal temperature.
- Remove roast from grill and rest 10 minutes.
- Place on a cutting board, use a sharp knife and slice as needed.
How to Oven Roast Rump Roast:
- Place rump roast to a dutch oven or roasting pan with a roasting rack. Use a cup of beef broth or a cup of water. Cook at 500° for 20 minutes. Lower to 250°, cooking about 15 – 20 minutes per pound. 1- ½ hours or until internal temperature reaches desired temperature.
This recipe will also work with a sirloin roast or bottom round roast using the same method and similar cook time depending on the size and shape of the roast.
INTERNAL TEMPERATURE FOR RUMP ROAST:
- Rare: 120 -125°
- Medium Rare 130 – 135°
- Medium 140 – 145°
Rump roast is one the more tender cuts of meat and is best enjoyed cooked rare to medium.
How to Store and Reheat:
Store leftover rump roast wrapped tightly in several layers of plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat sliced roast beef in a skillet with a bit of beef stock or water over medium heat. Turn to warm from both sides.
This tender rump roast is a great meal to prepare over the weekend and then have leftovers for sandwiches for an easy dinner or quick lunch throughout the week.
More Delicious Roast Recipes to Try:
Prime Rib is one our favorite meals for any holiday gathering. It’s also one of the easiest recipes you can make to feed a crowd.
Grilled Roast Beef with Vegetables is a classic comfort food meal that is hearty and delicious for any occasion.
Brown Sugar Garlic Rump Roast is made with our homemade beef rub and grilled to perfection.
Pot roast made in the crock pot or pressure cooker is always fall apart tender and delicious, but once we tried cooking beef rump roast on the grill, it’s the only way we cook them. Add this perfect rump roast recipe to your list to try for a great way to gather the whole family around the dinner table this week.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
Perfect Rump Roast is so easy to make on the grill. Great for family dinners and it's the best way to make roast beef sandwiches. This rump roast recipe turns out tender, juicy and flavorful every single time.
- Pat roast dry with paper towels and place on a large plate or rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over roast, covering entire roast.
- Sprinkle dry rub on all sides, pressing spices into roast.
- Set aside at room temperature and prepare a grill fire.
- Use hickory, oak or pecan for smoke flavor. Bring the grill up to about 350°.
- Cook the rump roast over indirect heat with the grill closed, keeping the grill temperature between 300 and 350°. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until roast reaches desired doneness using a digital thermometer.
- Remove from grill and rest about 10 minutes covered loosely with foil.
- Move to a cutting board and slice as needed.
TEMPERATURE FOR ROAST BEEF:
- 125° Rare
- 135° Medium Rare
- 145° Medium
- 155° Medium Well
Store leftover roast wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
Reheat sliced roast beef in a skillet with beef broth or water, just a few tablespoons over medium heat, turning to heat through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is estimated and may not be accurate.