Grilled Rump Roast with pepper crust is a flavorful and delicious recipe for any night of the week. Serve it up with mashed potatoes or slice it thin for the best sandwiches.
Grilled Rump Roast
This is not your grandma’s Sunday pot roast, it’s even better. The black pepper and garlic rub adds a delicious crust for the grilled roast beef. If you can add in a little hickory smoke, it’s sure to be one of the best roast beef recipes you will ever try.
PIN IT TO PINTEREST NOW!
How to Make Grilled Rump Roast:
- Set roast out an hour before grilling to come to room temperature.
- Pat roast dry with paper towels and place on a baking sheet.
- Mix pepper rub together in a small bowl: black pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder and kosher salt.
- Rub all over roast and set aside while you prepare your grill or smoker.
- Place roast over indirect fire and cook for 1 /2 hours or until internal temperature reaches about 140 – 145° with a digital thermometer.
- Remove from grill, loosely tent with foil and allow to rest 20 minutes before slicing.
- Serve immediately or wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to slice.
Tip for Slicing Roast Beef:
Completely chilled roast will be easier to slice thinly for sandwiches. Slice roast as needed to keep the most fresh tasting meat. Keep tightly wrapped in plastic wrap until ready to serve.
Temperature for Roast Beef:
- 125° Rare
- 135° Medium Rare
- 145° Medium
- 155° Medium Well
- 165° Well Done
Use a digital thermometer to check internal temperature and your roast will be perfectly cooked. Meat will rise in temperature 5 -10° as it rests.
Side Dishes for Grilled Roast:
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole is loaded with cheese and topped with bacon for a savory and delicious side for any roast beef dinner.
- Creamy Coleslaw is always a hit with anything on the grill. Easy to make ahead and has just a few ingredients.
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn is the most flavorful corn on the cob and easy to make while you have the grill hot.
We also love this Brown Sugar Garlic Rump Roast for an easy weeknight dinner.
FOLLOW OUT GRILLING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
Grilled Rump Roast with pepper crust is a flavorful and delicious recipe to serve for dinner. Slice it thin for the best roast beef sandwiches.
- 3 lb rump roast
- 2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Bring roast to room temperature about 1 hour before grilling.
- Pat roast dry with paper towels and place on a clean baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine pepper, brown sugar, garlic and salt.
- Rub over all sides of roast.
- Prepare grill or smoker to a 300° fire. If using wood for smoke, hickory or oak are great options.
- Place roast over indirect fire and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until internal temperature reaches between 140° to 145°.
- Remove to a cutting board. Place a foil tent over roast and allow to rest for about 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
Store cooled roast in an air tight container for up to 4 days in refrigerator.
Roast can be wrapped whole in plastic wrap and chilled. Thinly slice chilled roast for sandwiches.