Grilled Steak Pinwheels are marinated in a homemade Italian marinade and stuffed with zucchini, peppers and onions. Simple enough for busy weeknights and a delicious recipe for entertaining guests.
We love cube steak to make quick and easy dinners. For years we only made chicken fried steak with it but it's so much easier (and better for you) on the grill! It's a budget friendly cut of steak that is easy to feed a family.
PIN IT TO PINTEREST NOW!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Make Steak Pinwheels:
- Mix up the Italian marinade (dressing) or use your favorite bottled variety.
- For homemade mix vinegar, lemon juice, fresh garlic, thyme, oregano, basil, sugar, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes together.
- Pour mixture into a shallow dish and add cube steak, turning to coat both sides. Set aside (or refrigerate) until ready to grill.
- Dice your zucchini, peppers and onions.
- Prepare a grill fire to about 350° with hickory or oak for smoke flavor.
- Remove steak from marinade and cut into 2 pieces, lengthwise, if it is one large piece. Reserve marinade.
- Lay on a baking sheet or large cutting board and top with vegetables.
- Roll up from the short side and secure with a toothpick.
- Place back into pan of marinade and spoon marinade over the top of each roll.
- Place steak rolls over indirect fire and brush once more with marinade, discard any remaining marinade.
- Cook steak for about 12- 15 minutes with the lid closed. Check internal temperature of steak with a digital thermometer.
- Continue cooking until desired doneness is reached. We cooked ours to about 145°, which left us with a slightly pink center.
- Remove from grill to a cutting board and allow to rest about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Carefully slice into pinwheels and serve immediately.
- Tenderize your own round steak, sirloin steak or flank steak for this recipe.
- Add in your favorite vegetable combinations for the filling.
How to Store and Reheat:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 3 days.
It will be hard to keep the pinwheels from falling apart when reheating. The quickest and easiest way is to slice the steak and place the steak and vegetables into a skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook over medium heat 5- 8 minutes, stirring often until heated through.
What to Serve with Steak Pinwheels:
We served our steak pinwheels with oven roasted potatoes and Three Bean Salad. It was a delicious combination. You might also like to add our foil packet Grilled Corn on the Cob or Grilled Asparagus for an easy side dish.