Cocktail Meatballs are the ultimate appetizer for holidays, parties and get togethers with friends! These Italian Sausage Meatballs with Mustard BBQ Sauce are super simple and delicious.
Meatballs are actually really simple to make and they are always a hit on the appetizer menu. A great make ahead party snack that your guests will love!
PIN IT TO PINTEREST NOW!
Meatballs are a huge favorite at our house with everyone but me. Well that is until we put them on the grill and added a little wood smoke. Now, I’m hooked! The texture is amazing and the flavor of these meatballs are incredible.
We used our homemade Mustard BBQ Sauce that is really simple to make. However, you can use your favorite honey mustard or barbecue sauce in this recipe.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Make Cocktail Meatballs:
- Place Italian sausage, diced onion and eggs to a bowl.
- Mix together with your hands or a wooden spoon until combined.
- Add finely grated Parmesan cheese.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in Mustard BBQ Sauce.
- Form into 1 1/2 inch balls – we used our OXO cookie scoop.
- Place on a baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart.
- Prepare grill or smoker to 300°.
- Cook meatballs for 30-45 minutes to one hour or until internal temperature reaches 160° with a meat thermometer.
- Use party picks inserted into meatballs and place on a serving platter.
Meatballs are delicious served hot off of the grill or at room temperature.
This recipe can be halved for a smaller batch.
Can you freeze meatballs?
Meatballs can be frozen raw or cooked.
To freeze raw meatballs: Place on a sheet pan and place in the freezer for 2 hours or until frozen. Remove from sheet pan and place in a zip top freezer bag. Will keep for 3-4 months frozen.
To cook, place on a baking sheet and cook at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°.
To freeze cooked meatballs: Place cooled meatballs on a baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours. Remove from baking sheet and place in a zip top freezer bag. Freeze for 1-2 months.
To reheat, place on a baking sheet and cook at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°.
Meatballs are the perfect make ahead dinner or appetizer. It’s so easy to make a double batch of meatballs and put half in the freezer for busy weeknights or last minute entertaining.
My family loves meatball hoagies and the combination of Italian sausage with the Mustard BBQ Sauce is crazy- good. We plan to make sub sandwiches with these meatballs with melted Swiss cheese. I’m starving just thinking about it.
You might also like these Jalapeno Poppers with Brisket and Bacon! A super simple appetizer to make on the grill. We also love these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms and BBQ Steak Bites for appetizer parties.
FOLLOW OUT GRILLING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
Cocktail Meatballs are the ultimate appetizer for holidays, parties and get togethers with friends! These Italian Sausage Meatballs are super simple and can be smoked, grilled or baked in the oven.
- 2 pounds Italian Sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup Mustard BBQ Sauce
- Add Italian sausage to a bowl with diced onion and eggs. Mix well with your hands or a wooden spoon.
- Add grated Parmesan and mix well.
- Mix in Mustard BBQ Sauce.
- Use a medium sized cookie scoop to make 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Prepare grill fire to 300° or preheat oven to 325°.
- Cook meatballs for 30-45 minutes or until internal temperature is 160°.
- Serve with cocktail picks on a platter.
Honey mustard or your favorite barbecue sauce can be substituted for the Mustard BBQ Sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 1042mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g
Nutritional calculation is estimated and may not be accurate.