Smoked Chicken and Dressing is a delicious addition to any holiday gathering. A classic southern cornbread dressing with smoked chicken cooked on the grill with hickory smoke for the most delicious dressing you've ever tried!
We love cooking our holiday meals on the grill and once you try this, it's hard to imagine cooking it any other way! This was our first try at grilling the chicken and dressing and everyone loved it.
Ingredients for Smoked Chicken and Dressing:
- Bread Crumbs
- Smoked Chicken (or rotisserie)
- Bell Pepper
- Heavy Cream
- Chicken Broth
- Ground Sage
- Granulated Garlic
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
How to Make Smoked Chicken & Dressing:
- Start with cooked cornbread and buttermilk biscuits or other leftover bread.
- Crumble cornbread and crumble biscuits. Toast biscuit crumbs.
- Melt butter in a skillet and add diced onions, celery and bell peppers. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in Cream.
- Add cornbread crumbs, toasted bread crumbs and vegetable mixture to a large bowl.
- Next, add chopped chicken.
- In another bowl, beat 2 eggs with 2 cups of chicken broth and pour over bread crumbs and chicken mixture.
- Top with sage, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add additional broth ½ cup at a time until mixture is moist but not soupy.
- Form a foil pan, making about a 8 x 10 inch rectangle out of 2 layers of foil (or use a store bought foil pan). Spray with non stick cooking spray. Set on a grill pan.
- Pour dressing mixture into foil pan and spread evenly.
- Cover with foil.
- Cook over indirect fire for about 1 hour at about 350°.
- Next, remove foil cover and cook an additional 30 minutes or until dressing is cooked through.
- Remove from grill.
- Place on a serving platter for holiday dinners and special occasions.
We grilled this Rosemary Garlic Chicken just to make chicken and dressing, which can be done a few days in advance of your holiday meal. We also made a batch of homemade broth from the carcass to use for this dressing.
It is worth the time and effort for a holiday dinner to smoke the chicken and make homemade broth. If you are rushed for time a rotisserie chicken and store bought broth is still going to be totally delicious when you cook the dressing on the grill.
How to Store and Reheat:
Store dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
Reheat by the slice, covered with foil in a 325° oven for about 15 minutes or microwave for about 1 minute.
Dressing can be wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of foil to freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator before reheating.
Can you Make Chicken and Dressing Ahead?
Dressing can be made a day in advance up to the point of grilling. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to grill.
Conventional Oven Method:
Use the same cooking temperature and time for conventional oven.